Saturday, June 21, 2014

Post 2: The Concept

   Obviously, as much as I like what Julie Taymor and Salma Hayek did with the movie, I don't want to retell the same story, and the range of media I will be using allows at the same time less and more to done. I don't think the Stage could nor should try to compete with Cinema anyway. What would be the point.
   I am not trying to create a cinematic experience at all, even though I will use projected images and live video. It will not be a play either, even though it will be live on stage, because the "actors/mimes/dancers" will not speak directly, and there will be no dialogs. It will not be a musical, even though there will be songs and music, because nobody on that stage will break out into a song Broadway style. But that doesn't mean that there will be no singing either.
   I don't have commercial constraints, and hopefully can keep it that way and push things a little further on many levels. In my view, a good show should be at the very least a little provocative
   I would like to use new technologies like Kinect, Makey Makey and Leap Motion to let the "protagonists: partially control the projected images, the sounds, and the lighting.
   I want to have the audience on stage at times.
   I want to leave room for improvisation, sort of a "happening factor", and try  to build on what happens, so "The Show", for lack of a better term, will never be performed the same way twice.
   The set changes will take place in plain view, and the set will be self contained as the one of "Double Take", so we can perform anywhere: parks, small stages, schools, parking lots, etc…
    The set will build upon the one we constructed for Light Dreams, and be twice as deep, with two enclosed spaces about 18ft x 12 ft and 14ft x12ft . We will need at least two more ultra short throw projectors to cover the front set, the middle set, and the fabric backdrop. I would love to have two more to cover the sides too.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment